Safer Design for a safer world
SaferWorldbyDesign is a new solution-oriented, safety assessment framework to support the design of intelligent, safer products.
Its founding partners - Edelweiss Connect, Biopredic International, Eurosafe, SBX Corporation, Vertex Labs, TEMAS and ToxPlanet - bring expertise in the best emerging research methods in toxicology, biology, chemistry, risk assessment and computer science. Together, they are building a one-stop shop for designing a safer world.
Combined expertise for integrated solutions
SaferWorldbyDesign integrates in silico and in vitro methods to develop standard and premium Integrated Approaches to Testing and Assessment (IATAs), including methods that support ingredient screening, product design and the preparation of regulatory dossiers.
Together, the SaferWorldbyDesign partners supply commercial solutions, products and services to:
- Help industry incorporate the latest methods from complex science into business processes;
- Prepare evidence and regulatory dossiers;
- Promote the design and management of safer products throughout the life cycle;
- Translate new assessment methods to best practices;
- Support alternative methods and implementation of 3Rs principles on the Replacement, Reduction and Refinement of animal testing.
Safer World by Design solutions:
- In vitro testing/assays on compounds for the cosmetics, pharma, medical device, chemical, and food industries
- Harmonised data integration supporting IATAs (EdelweissData™)
- Pre-clinical safety testing
- Formulation assessments
- Toxicological and regulatory expertise and advice
- Safety Assessments and Regulatory Affairs
- IATA for skin sensitisation (SaferSkin™)
- Text mining and aggregation to deliver actionable insights (Taxila™)
- Machine learning and AI applied to data analysis
The partners of Safer World by Design
Edelweiss Connect, based in Basel, has built a reputation for specialised in silico R&D through its involvement in major research programs such as EUToxRisk, OpenRiskNet and ToxHQ. In 2018, the company set up a laboratory at its headquarters in Basel to offer in vitro support to its in silico solutions. Now, it has created Safer World by Design as an agile, integrating platform of business partners to translate knowledge into industrialised solutions.
Biopredic International is the exclusive worldwide licensor of HepaRG™, the human hepatic stem cell line patented by INSERM, and provider of primary hepatocyte cryopreservation and the isolation, production and distribution of fresh and frozen human and animal biological products, including tissues, primary cells, cell lines and reagents.
Eurosafe is a French Contract Research Organisation (CRO) with 25 years of experience supporting pharmaceutical, cosmetics (ingredients and finished products), food, chemical and medical device manufacturers. Eurosafe provides a GLP Laboratory and expertise in the 3 complementary areas of in vitro testing, tests on volunteers and toxicological/regulatory requirements. Eurosafe’s headquarters are in France.
SBX Corporation (SBX), head-quartered in Tokyo, Japan, provides solutions to complex socio-industrial problems in biology and beyond, using Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Internet of Things/sensor network, and model-based simulation techniques. Through its proprietary platform technologies, SBX has a proven track record in the fields of drug discovery, healthcare and in areas beyond biology, including, but not limited to mobility, logistics, industry 4.0, and related issues that are critical to our society. One of the key platforms in the SBX portfolio is Taxila™ which provides a text analytics and intelligence solution to obtain contextual insights from text.
TEMAS is an experienced and proven Swiss technology consulting service that has, most recently, made a name for itself as a specialist and dependable partner for safety questions in the nanomaterial field. TEMAS approaches technological and business challenges by drawing on its large network of scientists and specialists. TEMAS are experts of the Swiss Association of Standardisation regarding nanotechnologies and medical devices. They are currently working on extending OECD test guidelines for skin sensitisation to nanoforms.
ToxPlanet, based in the US, offers the world’s largest database of its kind to enable chemical safety professionals to find the chemical literature they need quickly. Searching ToxPlanet is like searching 500-plus specialised websites at the same time - using a normalised index, with a single look and feel. ToxPlanet’s solutions deliver the relevant chemical hazard and toxicology literature users expect to find, while delighting them with the discovery of literature they did not know existed.
Vertex Labs is a US custom Artificial Intelligence and solutions provider. The Vertex team’s expertise in the areas of Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Automation and Data Science allow them to provide custom Artificial Intelligence solutions for clients, as opposed to off-the-shelf solutions. Vertex Labs applies solutions learned across multiple domains, transferring learning from one industry to the next. In addition to transfer learning, the team is proficient in working with all types and sizes of data. While many Deep Learning methods typically only work with large data sets, Vertex Labs is particularly skilled in successfully applying those same methods to small data sets.
Safer World by Design products
- An easy-to-use application based on OECD defined and industry tested approaches to predict the skin sensitisation potential of ingredients. SaferSkin™ assesses input data and assigns a sensitisation category and the level of confidence in the prediction.
- A complete range of assays and reports.
- Tests on volunteers.
EdelweissData™ a platform for harmonised data integration, supporting the use of multiple datasets with seamless sharing of data and metadata. EdelweissData™ prepares, curates, harmonises, standardises and brings together data from different formats, different sources, and different labs.
- EdelweissData in the Lab: organise your data workflow.
- EdelweissData Sharing: integrate and harmonise project-driven data from multiple users and in different formats.
- EdelweissData Predictive Modelling: integrate your data to make predictions.
Which SaferWorldbyDesign solutions are most relevant for your current problems and work situation? Contact us to set up a conversation about your needs.